Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A very old knife


The knife sitting there came from Woolworth's on Oxford Street, London.  It was 1957 and we'd just got married.  We were living in an apartment on Edgware Road that wasn't fully-furnished so I had to go buy kitchen gear.  Along with the usual pots and pans, I picked up two knives.  

The second knife had to be thrown out a couple of years ago.  I used to get a razor sharp edge with one of those old sharpeners that shaved away the metal.  Unfortunately, it eventually ate the blade up to the spine.
  
This one shown is made of a harder metal so I couldn't use that old sharpener on it (thank goodness).  It cuts like a charm if I work the steel as I use it.  I've yet to find a reasonably priced knife as sharp as these in this many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment